When install SharePoint2010 ,you normally need to install the base the install and then install each Service Pack and cumulative update.Fortunately , there is an easy way to install the base and all the update at once.It is normally called slipstream installation.You need to follow the steps below.
1.Open the command prompt and extract the file using the command below.
office2010-kb2553048-fullfile-x64-glb.exe \extract.\SP2010 Aug Update
2.Doing the same for SP1 and August cumulative update.
3.Next , you need to copy all the update files to the Updates folder under the base install.
4.Now , you are ready to install SharePoint2010 now , just click the PrerequisiteInstaller to install the prerequisite files.
5.Finally , you can click the setup.exe to start the installation.
When I browse to a SharePoint site, I got the Server Error in ‘/’ Application, Cannot connect to the configuration database.
The reason you get the message is that SharePoint WFE cannot connect to the SQL database, you need to check the weather SQL server service is started as shown below.
When checking the SQL Server service, I see it is not started. After starting the service, it works like a charm.
By default, windows search only search by File name. To configure windows search to search by contents you need configure the following:
You need to make sure Windows Search Services feature is activated.(Check this article for details)
Then, configure Windows Search by Open file explorer: Press Alt button –> go to tools –> Folder options –> search tab –> Here select, “Always search file names and content(this might take several minutes)”
Press okay. Now your searches will work for file content like the good old days of XP.
Another way to search the contents in file without Search configuration is to Type “contents:” in the Windows Explorer search box followed by the word, searches text files. This is a search filter which seems to be undocumented?
Using Network load balancing to distribute load for SharePoint2010 – Part3 of building my own development SharePoint2010 Farm
In my last post, I have installed SharePoint2010 in one of the server (WFE One) and configured using the OOB SharePoint configuration wizard. In this post I will show you how to use OOB windows network load balancing to distribute load for SharePoint2010 site.
1. Install SharePoint in another server WFE Two (you can follow the steps in my last post), but instead of choosing create new Farm, you need to select “connect to existing farm” this time.
2. Click next then click retrieve database names button and select the farm configuration database.
3. Click next and enter the passphrase you specified when you first installed the SharePoint Farm.
4. Click the advanced settings and select Use this machine to host the web site.
5. Click OK to finish the configurations
6. Next, Install NLB in the two WFE (web front end) SharePoint servers
7. Configure NLB to create the cluster. Go to Start—Administrative Tools—Network Load Balancing Manager
8. Right-click the Network Load Balancing Clusters Node and select New Cluster.
9. Type in the host name that is to be part of the new cluster.
10. Type in the IP address for the cluster.
11. Select the Multicast for this cluster.(The default one is Unicast)
12. You can configure the Port Rules for the clustering , but I will leave the default here.
13. Add another WEF to the cluster.
14. Type in the host name that is to be part of the new cluster.
15. Set the Priority to 2.
16. Click Next to complete the cluster setup.
17. Create an entry in the DNS for the new cluster.
18. Add the binding to the IIS site in the IIS Manager
20. Browse to http://Team , you will be redirected to the SharePoint site.
In my last post of this series , I configured one of the VM to be my Domain Controller in my development SharePoint farm.In this post I will show you how to install SharePoint2010.I have already got an VM with SQL Server 2008R2 installed.
1.Create a domain user called sp_admin.
2. Create custom delegation control for sp_admin
a. right click the domain.
b. Click next of the delegation wizard.
c. Select the user to create the delegation.
d. Select “Create a custom task to delegate”
e. Select the first option “This folder, existing objects in this folder,and…”
f. Select the option “Replicating Directory Changes”
g. Click finish to complete the delegation.
3. In SQL Server2008 , assign user sp_admin to DBCreator and DBSecurity group.
4. After configuring the user, we can start installing SharePoint2010,run the SharePoint2010 installer.
5. Click Next to install all the prerequisites.
6.Select Complete install
7. After the installer completes, SharePoint configuration wizard will launch.
8. Select create a new server farm
9. Choose your database server and your domain account.
10.Configure the port and security settings.
11. Set a phrase, this is needed when you add server to the farm.
12. Click next to start the configurations.
13. After the configurations, you can see the details for the farm.
14. After clicking finish, you will be directed to web page like below, you can choose to start the wizard to configure the SharePoint (the easy option) or you can configure the SharePoint manually (advanced option)
15. After the configurations complete, you will see the details like below.
When I try to install SharePoint and run the configuration wizard, I got the following SQL error:
Most of the solutions I got from the internet are either dealing with the permissions for the service account or windows firewall that block the TCP/IP port. However, I have doubled checked these and they are all well set. The actual problem was the SQL Server connection settings.SQL Server TCP/IP connection is disabled by default (see screenshot below).
You need to enable the TCP/IP connection settings by going to SQL Server Configuration Manager and you need to restart the SQL Server services to make the changes happen. After the changes, it works like a charm.
When I try to install SQL Server 2008 R2, I got the error “No mapping between account names and security IDs was done” when I try to set the SQL Server Database engine services identity to a domain user name. The reason I am getting the error is that I create a base VM forgot to run sysprep, before I copy the VM and used to install SQL servers. You need to run the sysprep as follows: